News and updates about Gordon's fiction, available at Amazon and at Barnes & Noble, courtesy of Oghma Creative Media.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Come in, the water's fine!

I've been neglectful about updating my blog in the last week, but I have an excuse: I'm at summer camp.

Not actual, literal camp, but Camp NaNoWriMo, a worldwide collection of crazy writers who believe that they have what it takes to write a 50,000 word novel in a month.  It's not too late to sign up; they're going to run it again in August, so if you think you can write an average of a little over 1600 words a day every day for a month, then check it out.

It's July 5, and so far, so good.  My target at the moment is 8,100 words, and I just clocked in at 8,156.  I decided to work on my pre-existing work in progress, a (hopefully) humorous science fiction novel called Signal to Noise that I excerpted here a couple of weeks ago.  I'm playing fair, however, and reset the word count to zero on July 1, so that nothing I'd written prior to that date counted.  I hope I can keep it up -- this is proving to be a much more difficult story to write than my previous NaNoWriMo novel, Adam's Fall, which for some reason just flowed.

Part of the difficulty is that Adam's Fall only had one point-of-view character, whereas Signal to Noise has three -- Tyler Vaughan, the rather hapless zoologist whose discovery of some odd photos on one of his remote-sensing cameras launches the whole adventure; Rainey Carrington, a sweet, intuitive ex-flower-child, herbal tea maker, and Tyler's eventual romantic interest; and Dale (short for "Wensleydale" -- his parents liked Wallace and Gromit) Blodgett, the village Chief of Police, who is a decent enough guy but would really rather not deal with alien abductions, thank  you very much.  I like all three of the point-of-view characters, but each one presents different difficulties -- it takes me a while to shift into their brains when the point-of-view changes, and that by itself slows me down a good bit.  I find Tyler the easiest to write, probably because he's the one who is the most like me.  I just have to think, "What would I do in this situation?" and shazam, that's what Tyler does.

So, anyhow, I'll try to get on here and update my progress every so often, but postings may be a little sparse in the next three weeks.  If all goes well, however, I should be close to finishing Signal to Noise by the end of July, and can devote August to editing.  (Joy.  My favorite thing to do.)  But maybe, by the start of school, I'll have the whole thing done... which will be awfully nice.

Then, on to the next project -- because the regular NaNoWriMo is in November.  If I'm crazy enough to do it all again...

No comments:

Post a Comment