News and updates about Gordon's fiction, available at Amazon and at Barnes & Noble, courtesy of Oghma Creative Media.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Walking Alone

A little poem about a rainy night walk.

*********************

Walking Alone


Puddles of spilled light shimmer on the pavement.
I pass a streetlight.  My shadow rotates beneath my feet,
Stretches out in front of me,
Black on silver.
Rainwater snickers and chuckles its way down the gutter
Then tumbles into the storm drain.
Branches drip, drizzle hisses on concrete;
A car swishes past, hurrying to get itself to its garage and its owner to bed,
Leaving me alone with the rain and the darkness --
Time counted not in minutes but in strides,
Each one closer to home.

2 comments:

  1. I like this very much. It creates a striking word picture, plus it gives a glimpse into the mind and emotions of the walker. Well done!

    K.D.

    ReplyDelete