News and updates about Gordon's fiction, available at Amazon and at Barnes & Noble, courtesy of Oghma Creative Media.

Friday, March 16, 2012

Seven lines from page 77

I just got tagged with a blog meme by my author buddy Stacey Turner of The Author Spot, and I thought it sounded like fun.  The rules are:

1) Go to page 77 of your current manuscript, work-in-progress, or most recent story.
2) Go to line 7.
3) Copy the next 7 lines, sentences, or paragraphs (your choice) as they're written.  No cheating!
4) Tag 7 authors.
5) Let them know.

So, here 'tis.  My current work-in-progress is a murder mystery, Poison the Well, and features a psychic detective agency -- each of the detectives has been hired because (s)he has a different psychic ability.  This particular conversation is between the psychometer, Seth Augustine, and the telepath, Callista Lee, and takes place as they're driving away after questioning a witness.

 
           “You must get a lot of insight into the human condition, hearing people’s thoughts all the time,” Seth said.
            Callista was silent for a moment, and then said, “More than I want.”
            He shifted into first, and eased the little car up the driveway.  “Is it true that all guys think about sex once every thirty seconds?”
            Callista looked over at him, and a smile – a real, honest smile – crossed her face.
            Wow, she should do that more often, Seth thought, marveling at how it softened the angular lines of her face.
            “I think,” she said, “that in your case, it’s more like every fifteen seconds.”
            Seth burst into laughter, and said, “Well, I’ve always liked to consider myself above average.”


Poison the Well should, lord willin' an' the creek don't rise, be released on Amazon and Barnes & Noble and available for purchase by June 2012.

So, here are my tags (and you should all check out their blogs & buy their books, too, because these are some amazing writers I'm talkin' about, here):

Tracey Hansen at Tracey's Tavern
Thea Atkinson at Gonzolink
Jesse James Freeman at Billy Purgatory
Kendall Grey at Life is But a Dream
Al Boudreau at Al Boudreau

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to put it here, because it's going to take me a long while to figure the rules out and find enough folks to tag....
    The dream of a small fire at the centre of a darkened space was filled with the odour of drying rose petals and it was perhaps the oddity of this that finally made him open his eyes and regain consciousness. The cottage beyond this small guest bedroom was silent and he guessed he'd slept ridiculously late. Rushing through a swift shower and skipping a shave, he hurried downstairs, only to find it empty too. He glanced out of the kitchen window to see if Peter were out in the garden and when he saw he wasn't, he sighed. It was after ten o'clock and Peter was an early riser.
    He was sitting in the kitchen drinking tea when Peter reappeared, loaded up with supermarket carrier bags.
    “Supplies,” Peter said succinctly. “I needed to shop anyway but you coming has just made me do it today rather than at the weekend.”
    “I thought you were going away this weekend,” Ashurst said, helping to unpack the bags.
    “True enough,” Peter said. “But I was almost out of all sorts of things that couldn't wait much longer. Like tea.”
    Ashurst made a fresh pot of tea while Peter put the shopping away and waited at the table. He was aware of how his sudden decision to visit had impacted upon his friend and yet, for once, he didn't feel guilty for putting someone out. He felt more relaxed than he had for months and while he was still sleepy, he had had few better night's sleep for a long while.
    “So,” said Peter conversationally. “What happened yesterday that meant you changed your plans and came now and not at Easter? I am glad to see you. But I am also aware you have been avoiding visiting.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it, Viv! Thanks for playing! :-)

      Delete
    2. I'm doing it for real with another book on my blog for Monday but not tagging folks but suggesting it to anyone!!

      Delete
  2. Wow, you couldn't have picked a better 7 lines, huh? Those are fantastic! Such great insights into both characters with only a few sentences. Love it!

    Thanks so much for tagging me in this post. I'll do my best to put my seven lines up soon. It's been crazy lately!

    ReplyDelete